Tuesday 17 April 2012

Time to catch up! P is for Pandora's Box

I apologize for not posting these past two days, they have been full of revision for my A Levels and my head hasn't really been screwed on straight...
P is for Pandora's Box, a frequently used idea in fantasy fiction.
Pandora's Box is supposedly a large jar which contained all the evils of the world. See, the word pithos in Greek was mistranslated in box and it has been the same since. When Pandora opened the jar, all its contents except for one item were released into the world. The one remaining item was Hope. Sounds lovely doesn't it! To have only hope remaining. Someone said in a film I watched today (matter of fact, I think it was said in The Hunger Games! Yes! By president Snow!!) that hope is the strongest emotion one can have - so strong, that it can override fear. That filled me with...hope, I guess.
Anyways, 
today, to open Pandora's box means to create evil that cannot be undone.
So perhaps we're just a bit more pessimistic nowadays!
Here is a gorgeous painting of Pandora and her box:
Well, I don't really have much to say on this subject and apoligize for the short post. Busy times...need to sleep! 
Next post (which I am about to make) will be on today's letter :)
M. x

No comments:

Post a Comment